Friday, July 2, 2010

Fun for the fam, Sentimental for Mommy

Today we went to see Toy Story 3 with the kids. We were in high school when the original Toy Story movie came out, and it was such a big hit then. Over the last couple weeks, we have been watching Toy Story and Toy Story 2 on tv, and my kids have come to love them as much as we did. When Jon had a short day of work today, we decided to do some family stuff like have a picnic, go to the playground, then go see Toy Story 3.

I had heard much about it--I was prepared that I would laugh in some places and be sad in some, and that as a mom I would probably cry a little. I experienced all of those things. I love that we took our kids to the final movie in a trilogy that started when we were younger. Jon and I looked at each other and laughed so hard and some parts, and I also cried when I pictured my own kids as the ones going away to college.

It's a little bit ironic that watching the movie with my 5 and 3 year old kids made me cry thinking about them growing up, and one day when they are 18 and going away to college I will probably pull out the dusty DVD that we haven't watched in years, pop it in the tv and cry again remembering them as they were when they were little.

I'm thankful, though, that for now it reminded me to treasure each moment I have with them at each stage that they pass through.

No comments: