Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Great Valley

I was so sick the week before Lawson's birthday, and one of the things I was going to be most disappointed about was that I didn't think I would be able to make a cake for Lawson's birthday. It's always so much fun for me to think up a cake that I think my kids will be excited about--I love making a cake for their birthday that they will remember. Actually, I'm not sure they would even notice if I couldn't make it, but it matters to me!

I had planned on making a cake that looked like The Great Valley from The Land Before Time. Lawson has LOVED dinosaurs this year, and chose dinosaur invitations to send out for his party. I thought it would be fun to put some dinosaurs on a cake I decorated.... So here it is...

I used 2 chocolate cake mixes and 2 yellow cake mixes. I made all the icing from scratch.
Getting there...

And the cake as it was at the party:
The cake was a hit at the party! First, all the kids wanted some of the water...until I cut the volcano. Then--everyone wanted a piece of the volcano!! It was pretty fun!
Now, for a break on the cakes until August...

No comments: