Saturday, May 16, 2009

Springtime Visitors

Due to the inordinate number of trees in our yard, we have a large number of birds that fly in and out of the yard on any given day. To add to the menagerie we've put out a birdfeeder this year, and both of the kids delight in letting me know when a bird is on it and eating, when it becomes empty and helping me fill it back up. Lawson has become able to spot and identify bluebirds, cardinals, blackbirds, robins, doves, sparrows, woodpeckers, and mockingbirds because they regularly partake of the feast we put out for them.

This spring I noticed a male and female cardinal who were 'regulars' in the yard. One day I spotted the female flying into a bush near our back door. I peeked in (trying to be as 'non-threatening' as I could be) and noticed that this red couple decided that our bush would be a perfect place to call home for the spring!

1 comment:

brooke said...

We had little birdies hatch on our front porch a couple of weeks ago. I think it was the first time ever I have seen baby birds up close! I was about as excited as the kids.