Friday, October 24, 2008

On Raising My Voice...

Lately I find myself raising my voice to my kids way too often. Either it's because they're upstairs and I'm downstairs and I'm just too tired or lazy to go up to them. Or it's because I'm busy doing something else. Or it's because I'm just tired of having already said that particular thing 8 times! Whatever it is, it's frustrating, because it never works. I get frustrated because I'm saying/yelling the same things over and over, the kids seem to not be hearing me (no matter how LOUD I am), and nothing is ever accomplished!

Last Saturday Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer posted links to several places she enjoyed reading, and one of her links was to a specific post that a lady wrote about not yelling at her children. I read it, and it has been in my head for nearly a week now.

I just can't get rid of it. I have been trying to remain more conscious of the tone/volume of my voice. I have been trying to notice the reasons why I raise my voice. I want my home to be a quiet and calm home, but I expect my children to listen and obey the first time I tell them something.

I am embarking on a journey to change my bad habit of raising my voice to my children and training them to listen to what I say to them. I am linking to the article here, in case any of you might want to read what she says about it.

5 comments:

Jamey said...

I've been noticing this in myself lately. Thanks for sharing. I'll pray for you if you pray for me! :) (I'll pray for you anyway, but I'd love any extra too!)

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

It's definitely a process. I'm glad you stopped by, and thanks so much for the link.

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

Thanks for posting that, Stacy. This is definitely something that I needed to read. I think I forgot sometimes what effect my tone and volume of my voice has on my kids. I just lose my patience at times and it definitely shows and I think they definitely tune me out when that happens. I forget, too, that you don't have to yell to be heard and to be a good disciplinarian. I always hated hearing teachers that constantly yelled at their students and I never wanted to be that way. I think I needed to be reminded of that, though, now as a mom. Thanks. :)

one BleSSed gal! said...

Thank you, thank you for that! As my boys have gotten older I find that it is so much easier & I guess at times I have felt necessary to raise my voice to get my point across, although I know that still doesn't generally bring about the desired results. Since reading this I have been praying for you & for myself, too. Since my boys are old enough I also sat them down & told them that we have a new game plan & that we are all going to work together on this one!

brooke said...

I am right there with you Stacy. My patience is slowly slipping away.